Manchester Victoria railway station has reopened more than a week after the suicide attack at the city’s arena.
The station, attached to Manchester Arena, was shut after the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert, which left 22 people dead and dozens injured.
More CCTV footage of bomber Salman Abedi has been released and police are appealing for people who might have seen him carrying a blue suitcase.
Forensic teams have also been seen searching a landfill site in Bury.
British Transport Police said its officers would be on patrol at the station on Tuesday.
- Manchester attack: Who were the victims?
- What we know about bomber Salman Abedi
- Special report: Manchester bombing
Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock of British Transport Police (BTP) said his thoughts remained with those affected by the tragic attack.
“Since this event, Manchester Victoria station has remained closed and behind the scenes great effort has been made in order get Manchester moving again,” he added.
“I am sure that today’s announcement that the station will reopen will be greatly welcomed by the community of Manchester.”
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham and Transport Secretary Chris Grayling were among those to lay wreaths at the station as it reopened.
Mr Burnham told the BBC: “People went above and beyond what you would expect. Those who rushed into the danger were station staff.
“In these moments, you do see the best of people, you see the best of our public services and it is quite awe-inspiring to hear that.”
Liam Sumpter, managing director of Northern Trains, which run out at Manchester Victoria, said 15 members of staff were among those first on the scene.
He said: “They provided first aid and comfort to those victims without any thought to their own safety and without any training in that sort of response.
“They did the whole industry proud and I’ve got no doubt that they made a big difference on the evening.”
And Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, said his first time at the station since the attack had been “very moving”, adding that the return of the Metrolink services was a very important stage of recovery for the city.
The station reopening comes as the investigation into the attack continues.
On Monday, police released a new image showing Abedi on the day of the attack with a blue suitcase.
Officers are appealing for people who might have seen him carrying it in the Wilmslow Road area or the city centre between 18 and 22 May.
Det Ch Supt Russ Jackson, from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, said: “I want to stress that this is a different item than the one he used in the attack.
“We have no reason to believe the case and its contents contain anything dangerous, but would ask people to be cautious.”
He added: “The public should not approach the case if they see it but contact police immediately on 999.”
New CCTV footage has emerged that appears to show Abedi shopping at a convenience store.
The footage was recorded in a shop close to the flat where the suicide bomber was just hours before the attack.
The BBC has given the footage to investigating officers.
Greater Manchester Police have asked anyone with information to contact the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789 321.
Police have also been carrying out searches at a tip next to the M66 motorway, between Bury and Heywood.
Officers were seen standing on guard at the entrance to the Viridor site, as well as on a public footpath around it.
A number of other searches were carried out on Monday, including in Whalley Range and Rusholme, Manchester, Chester, and Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, where a 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences.
A total of 16 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation. Two have been released and 14 remain in custody.
On Monday night at 22:31 BST, exactly a week after the attack, a moment of silence was held in Manchester’s St Ann’s Square after even more tributes had been laid for the victims.
Hundreds of people attended and broke into applause, as well as chants of “Manchester”, in another showing of solidarity in the city.
Irina Tomic, 17, from Warrington, said: “A few of my friends went to this concert and I’ve always liked to go to gigs, so this tragedy really hit home to me.
“I wanted to come here to pay my respects. It feels like everyone has come together.”
Ariana Grande has said she will return to Manchester to play a benefit gig for the victims of the attack.
“I don’t want to go the rest of the year without being able to see and hold and uplift my fans,” she said.
More From this publisher : HERE